Vintage-themed weddings are a hot trend. And why not? Choosing a favorite decade to plan your special day adds a whole new element of fun to the celebration. And lately, due to the popularity of shows like Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey and remakes of Great Gatsby, Roaring Twenties has been in the minds of many brides.
The 1920s represented an era of flashiness, decadence and liberation for women. Fashion design was influenced by Art Deco and surrealism, jazz, and the discovery of King Tut’s tomb, which caused a huge trend towards anything with Egyptian motifs. Coco Chanel was the designer with the most influential creations in women’s fashion in the 20s, including a well-fitting chemise dress worn with long necklaces, which has become a hallmark of the look. “Flapper”. The lady’s evening outfit consisted of intricate beads, tassels and sequins with jade-encrusted turbines, feather headband and other decorative hair ornaments.
So if you’re lucky enough to be invited to an official or “after 5”-themed wedding of the 1920s, you definitely can’t run out to your nearest apparel store and grab one of these fragile polyester numbers with tassels. Au contradiction! An occasion like this requires luxury, of course luxury and class! This is not the time to dress you up wisely. For the evening wedding event of the 1920’s, you will want to show off the authentic glam look of twenties, meaning dress like Lady Dudley below.
Coco Chanel once said “A girl should have two things. Luxurious and fabulous. “So here are my suggestions for looking classy and awesome for a 20’s costume-themed wedding.
• The sleek, slightly wide sleeveless party dress is covered with elaborate beaded and sequin designs, preferably geometrical. Some of the fringe elements are always a plus! No need to be too short! Most women in the 1920s did not wear miniskirts.
• Long pearl strands or other beads, worn alone or in layers.
• Opera long gloves. Add a sparkling bracelet on one wrist.
• For hair, choose a nice headband or turban and pin a sparkling brooch on it, wear an elegant beaded headband, maybe some feathers, or go with a hat Ornate fabric decorated with satin, bow or flower.
• Find a patterned or mesh pair of mesh socks that match your outfit. Knitwear either embroidered or decorated with rhinestone will work as well. Some flappers even wear knee-sized socks!
• Shoes must have curved heels (Louis) and have a T or Mary Jane lanyard.
• Bring a small purse with a beaded and / or lacing design.